“Essential Oils help, assist and support. The world needs to be more like essential oils.”
I had trouble with sleep. It was driving me insane. I would go for days with barely 5 hours of sleep. Then a friend, whose mother was a certified aromatherapist, recommended lavender oil for sleeping. I used this oil in my bath. It felt amazing. I slept for a full 8 hours without any trouble falling asleep. This is when I fell in love with aromatherapy. Since then I have learned much more about different essential oils from their major perks to some dangerous side effects.
If this is your first time I recommend you pick 3 to 5 essential oils and learn about them. Most of the Instagram posts are exaggerated and honestly just lies. Anything in excess is bad. And some of the oils are harmful to the pregnant woman, children, and pets.
These oils have medicinal properties acting as antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and analgesics. They help with asthma, sinus, and other respiratory ailments. Not just that some oils may even help with fertility (Ylang Ylang/Clary Sage/Rose) and other issues. But the main purpose for which they are becoming popular and being used now are as follows:
- Managing pain[Frankincense/Lavender/Eucalyptus/Chamomile]
- Improving sleep quality [Lavender/Frankincense/Ylang Ylang/Cedarwood/Vetiver]
- Reducing stress [Lavender/Frankincense/Chamomile/Vanilla]
- Overcoming symptoms of depression [Lavender/Frankincense/Chamomile/ Ylang Ylang]
- Soothing sore joints[Frankincense/Lavender /Eucalyptus/Chamomile] and
- Battling the effects of cancer [Citrus Oil/Frankincense/Lavender/Lemongrass]
- Improves Skin Health [Tea tree/Lavender/Frankincense]
Most of the oils are very strong in their unaltered form and they need to be diluted. By mixing them with some carrier oils like coconut oil, almond oil, olive oil, jojoba oil or even water, before applying it to the skin.
Aromatherapy can be performed in several different ways:
• Diffusing a combination of essential oils into the air (or just one single oil) [Differs are available in the market]
• Inhaling oils through the nostrils directly off of a cloth or from the bottle
• Receiving massage therapy utilizing oils
• Soaking in an oil-infused bath
• Rubbing oils directly onto the skin (Mixed with carrier oils)
Most essential oils have sedative and stimulating effect. They cause a positive effect on the brains emotional response center known as the limbic system. The main difficulty using these oils is finding the *authentic pure oils*. There are too many fakes out there that are not plant-based. [These oils are made from medicinal plants, flowers, herbs, roots, and trees.]
- Do not apply undiluted oils directly to your skin.
- Do not expose oil applied skin to direct sunlight.
- Do not ingest large amounts.
- Do a patch test to check for any allergies before using.