How often do you do nothing? Or just sit by the window and watch as you sip your favorite coffee or dance or paint and so on…
Well, if you can’t remember when you had your me-time last, then you must really start loving yourself a lot more. We work to fulfill our needs, to take care of our loved ones. But forget to take care of ourselves.
No, we don’t become a selfish person if we take time for ourselves. Self- care is the nourishment you give to yourself to promote your physical, mental and emotional growth. It is foundation of a healthy life. It is as important as food and fresh air. WHO defines self-care as “The ability of individuals, families and communities to promote health, prevent disease, maintain health, and to cope up with illness and disability with or without the support of a healthcare provider.
Self-care can take various forms, sometime cognitively like reading your favorite author, or for some being social, and for some journaling, penning down their thoughts. You can choose to indulge in either, depending upon your need. Self- care has several benefits on our mental and physical well-being.
Does Self-care boost cognitive functions?
- Self-care will help our cognitive abilities to change and reorganize.
- Self-care promotes conscious intellectual activity.
- Self-care prevents the cognitive decline which typically occurs with ageing.
- Self-care improves our ability to listen, learn, understand better, justifyour actions and attention.
- Self-care boosts our creative ability which helps in formation of new ideas.
- Self-care helps in having compassion for ourselves and not judging ourselves.
- Self-care helps in staying committed to our personal goals.
Does self-care boost physical functions?
Our body and mind have a unique connection. Self-care has been clinically proven to reduce heart disease, stroke and cancer.
Domains of physical self-care:
- Self-care in terms of diet and exercise boosts our physical health.
- Self-care helps us to prevent early ageing.
- Regular diet and exercise regulates the serotonin levels as it helps with sleeping, eating, and digestion.
- Having well-balanced diet prevents chronic diseases.
- Physical fitness and hygiene is the major cause for healthy body and mind.
- Dosage of drugs can be manipulated by proper diet and exercise.
Does self-care boost emotional stability?
- Emotional care helps us accept our feelings rather than judging them.
- Emotional care gives you courage and confidence to have difficult conversations.
- Emotional care helps you to get over the blame-game concept.
- Emotional care will help you understand how to get your needs met.
- Emotional care will stabilize your mood swings.
- Emotional care helps us to form peace with our body and mind.
- Emotional care increases our concentration towards work, household, personal and relationship.
- Emotional care helps us elevate toxic mindset.
- Emotional care helps us develop spiritual well-being.
How to practice self-care?
Self-care does not mean the same for everyone. Each individual has his/her own method to practice self-care.
23rd July 2021 at 9:24 pm
Wonderful !! We often miss this and can’t agree more that is a very important part of our life . Thanks for sharing
23rd July 2021 at 10:06 pm
23rd July 2021 at 11:25 pm