Energy - 83 calories
Protein - 2.4 gm
Carbohydrates - 10.1 gm
Fat - 3.7 gm
Calcium - 49.5 mg
Folic acid - 13.6 mcg
1. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and garlic and sauté over a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
2. Add the vegetable stock, carrots, tomato purée, tomatoes, spinach and salt, mix well and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Add cooked barley and macaroni, mix well and simmer for another minute.
4. Remove from the flame, add the oregano and red chilli flakes and mix well.
5. Serve immediately garnished with cheese(optional).
To cook barley and macaroni, boil a vesselful of water, add the barley and macaroni and boil for 10 to 15 minutes or till they are cooked. Refresh them using cold water, strain and use as required.
Red chilli flakes spice up the soup, but always add it at the end lest the soup becomes over spicy.